Thursday, March 21, 2013

Audio Alert When Shortable

Since I use Interactive Brokers, the main method of determining if a stock is shortable has been looking at a colored column. Bright green means there are at least 1000 shares available to short, dark green means you can sell short but there are currently no shares available to do so. Lastly, red means the security is unavailable to short.
 
The frustrating part is that the stocks with really great risk/reward for shorting quickly have their borrows eaten up by the most attentive traders. Since locates can often become available intraday, you pretty much have to have your eyes on the column at all times if you want those shares. Unless you can devote the screen real estate to have the column visible throughout the day, you'll likely miss some good opportunities.

Luckily there are some other options. The easiest is to just set a GTC order below the best bid so that when shares do become available, you'll get executed. At least theoretically. In practice, that doesn't always work. Day orders actually seem to have priority so you might just use a GTC order to remind yourself to set a day order below the bid every morning. Just be prepared to have both orders execute if lots of shares become available and your GTC order is in range of the stock price.

Even better though, are audio alerts when the stock becomes shortable. That way you don't even have to be at your computer to quickly learn of new borrows on a stock you're watching. I only figured out how to do this yesterday and I'm curious how many other people have figured it out. For now though I'm keeping it to myself because it just seems like too valuable of an edge to give out for free.

2 comments:

  1. I must say I love the website. A wealth of information. I for one were considering Tim Sykes since reading your website I now am having second thoughts. My question is this. What is the best broker with available shorts, if there is one. And yes I'm a noob that followed one promotion ad and made thousands so I'm convinced there's a method to this madness. What is your advice on brokers companies and available shorts, and being a novice to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still partial to Interactive Brokers since it's the one I use and they have never given me a reason to dislike them. They have great borrows (available shorts) as well. Unfortunately, I can't really comment on many other brokers since I haven't personally used them. I didn't like SureTrader when I tried them but since then they have changed clearing firms (which determines how many shorts the broker can offer) so they could be better now.

      My best advice to a novice is to just take it slow. Since you made money the first time you might place too much trust into pumps which sometimes collapse for no reason. Try not to risk more than 10% at a time

      Delete